Sunday, January 11, 2015

The one with the 'Mean Girls' group

Dear Dad,

I am in a mother's group on facebook that I really enjoy and has really helped me. The problem is a lot of the mom's talk about a lot that I don't understand like politics. Some of them can be snotty and even a little mean to the other mom's who don't know anything on the subject. I have been googling the things they are talking about so I can be part of the conversations and have more than once been kind of bitchy to people who don't know things "like we do." I feel bad about it, but also love the group and talking about things. What do you think I should do? I'm an at home mom and 19 and don't know a lot of people here (I moved to my boyfriend's when I got pregnant). TIA

Dear 'Mean Girl Groupie':

I realize you are very young and may not understand that life is not like high school. You will encounter people who are snotty and know-it-all and unpleasant catty buffoons. Do you want to associate with unpleasant catty buffoons and have people think you are one?

I love that you are googling things to keep up with the conversation - education does not just happen in college and universities. Anyone can learn anything by researching and reading. Bravo!

For you to then be snooty to others for not knowing something? For shame.

My advice is to consider if this group of 'Mean Girls' is really for you. If you think the pros outweigh the cons, continue googling, and be nice! Keep in mind there are a lot of other groups on Facebook!

Good luck!


I have found, on many Facebook parenting pages, as well as comment sections of online articles, that some women can be very non supportive and judgmental towards other women. Why is this?  Why can't we all just get along? 

As part of this advice column, I encourage readers to use the comment section to have a conversation on the subjects that are presented for 'Dear Dad.'  I will be around all day to be part of the conversation.  What are everyone's thoughts? 

No comments:

Post a Comment