Sunday, June 21, 2015

The One With the Surfing Metaphor

Dear Dad,
What do you do when you feel like your world is falling to pieces?
Dear 'Pieces',
I think everyone at one time or another feels like their world is falling apart - whether it be due to work, school, relationships, health issues, and so on. Sometimes life feels like everything is going wrong, and that is typically when one gets that extra kick when they are down.
I am going to share with you the advice I give my children when they are going through a period where they feel like their world is falling apart - and yes, even 11 year old and 7 year old children feel like this from time to time. I try to follow this advice when I'm going through something myself, but sometimes one forgets: Life is a lot like surfing; sometimes, the waters will be calm with not a lot of action to be had, while other times the waters will be rough and try to push you down. The key to a balanced and healthy life is to learn to balance and stay up on that board and to remember that the rough waters will eventually calm. The more skilled one becomes, the more one can soar during the rockiest of tides. Those who stay on the board during all conditions and remember this advice can accomplish anything and weather any storm. Now that it is in writing, I'll be sure to take my own advice the next time I'm in a situation that makes me feel like my world is falling to pieces.
I don't know what is specifically going on in your life, 'pieces', but take a deep breath and remember this, too, shall pass.
Readers: what do you do when your world feels like it is falling to pieces?

No comments:

Post a Comment